Headteacher: Mrs K Bishop
Assistant Headteacher, Key Stage 1 Leader and SENCO: Mrs S Walker
Assistant Headteacher and Key Stage 2 Leader: Mr A Torr
Foundation Stage Leader: Mrs A Oldham
School Business Manager: Mrs K L Rawlinson (main contact for enquiries)
Our School Today
St Mary's School was founded by and is part of the Catholic Church. We currently have 155 children on roll aged 4-11. We are the only Catholic School in the town of Bacup and have a thriving nursery which provides free and flexible childcare. Offering all the advantages of a Church school our roll is not limited to Catholics, we caters for families who believe in giving children a strong moral understanding of today’s world as well as an excellent all round education.
A brief history of our school
1852 Father Henry Mulvaney established a Mission in Bacup. A garret over a shop in Market Street (now Crowthers Opticians) was used as Church and School.
1857 A Smithy over Princess Street was said to have been used for Services at this time. It is not clear whether the school occupied the same premises.
1862 The School moved to Wesley Place.
1871 A new School and a Presbytery were built next to the church.
1904 A new Infant School was built in Dale Street and the other buildings were enlarged. This is now used as the Parish Centre.
1956 Part of the School’s buildings were condemned as unsafe.
1959 A new School was built on the present site. It was opened by George Andrew Beck, the Bishop of Salford in 1960. The cost of the building was £60,000.
1984 A nursery class was established at the school.
2000 The School celebrated its 40th anniversary at the present site
2002 The School celebrated 150 years of academic achievement in the town.
2010 The School celebrated 50 years at its new site.