St Mary’s Catholic Primary and Nursery School is committed to providing our learners with a motivating and inspiring creative curriculum that aims to develop a love for learning through a topic-led approach. In order to prepare children for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing, we seek to stimulate both intellectual and creative abilities by providing lessons which enrich, engage and excite all children!
Across the different Key Stages children will learn the following Art skills:
Early years foundation stage (EYFS)
All pupils in the EYFS are taught art, design and D&T as an integral part of the topic work covered during the academic year. The art, design and D&T curriculum in the EYFS has a particular focus on the specific areas of expressive arts and design and understanding the world.
In the EYFS, pupils will be taught to:
- Recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as at home and in schools.
- Select and use technology for particular purposes.
- Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- Represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through D&T, art, music, dance, role-play and storytelling.
KS1 – Art and design
By the end of KS1, pupils will be taught to:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Develop a wide range of art and design techniques using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- Appreciate the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
KS2 – Art and design
By the end of KS2, pupils will be taught to:
- Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials.
- Appreciate great artists, architects and designers in history.