Special Educational Need



We understand that it has been a difficult time for everybody over the last year and you may find that your child with SEN could be struggling with all the changes and be feeling anxious. Here are some resources below that may help your child throughout this Pandemic and how you can help support them at home. If your child is working at home then it is important to have a routine and prepare them for the activities for each day so that they know what to expect. Keep instructions short and write them down to help. 

If your child is feeling anxious then one nice idea is to make a 'worry box' together. 

If your child often feels worried or anxious, and it’s upsetting them or making it difficult for them to think about or do other things, you can try making a worry box together. Worry boxes are containers into which children can post their anxious thoughts. Children can find them soothing because they give them a physical way of getting rid of their worries so they don’t need to carry them around anymore. They make them feel safer by holding their anxious thoughts for them and help them to understand that thoughts are just thoughts, not real things that happen in the world. They also help to realise that it’s possible to let their worries go and it will create a routine for sorting out their worries and sharing them with you. Here's a guide of how to make one: Worry Box

If your child is struggling to do too much at once then break the learning up into short bursts throughout the day. Give lots of opportunities for 'brain breaks' throughout the day and mindfulness activities such as colouring, going for your daily walk, blowing bubbles, reading a book, lego, puzzles etc. 

Use a now and next board (or 'First and Then') which is a board with the word 'now' on the left side, and the word 'next' on the right side, with a box under both words. Teachers will usually put a picture of, or write the task that needs to be finished in the 'now' box, and similarly a reward or treat in the 'next' box. The now and next board can be found here but if you want me to print one off for you get in touch. You could use post it notes or paper too if this is easier. 

Social stories are a great activitiy for talking through changes and why people are wearing a mask etc. Click here for a range of examples: Social Stories 

Supporting Speech and Language alongside communication skills is really important during this time for all ages.  Use this link which you may find helpful in supporting your child's speech, language and communication skills! There are some fun activities too!  Speech and Language ideas

Please get in touch with me if you would like any further support or advice and email me at sberry@stmarys.romerocat.com                                                                                              There are also lots of useful tips and advice on this website: NSPCC advice for SEN children

Stay safe! 

Miss Berry



At St Mary's we are committed to the belief that every child is an individual who brings something special to the school community.  All children, regardless of ability, background or ethnicity, have the right to participate in and enjoy all aspects of school life, and have the opportunity to meet their full potential. Like most schools, we have a number of pupils who have some additional needs. That means they may need a little more help and support from us. The support we provide to these pupils is coordinated by Miss Berry. She liaises with a range of agencies such as Speech & Language Therapy Services, Occupational Therapy and the Community Paediatrician. We do our best to provide work that meets the needs of each child, but sometimes we see that, despite our best efforts, they are not making the progress we anticipate.

What to do if you feel your child has a problem Speak to your child’s class teacher. The teacher may then refer you to the SENCO who will explain the procedures in place in school to address your child’s needs.

Designated person for SEN Miss S Berry – (SENCO) Please feel free to make a telephone appointment if you wish to discuss anything with her. TEL: 01706 873123

Special Educational Needs At St. Mary’s we are working in line with the new SEN Code of Practice, 2014. The school has a special needs register which records children who receive SEN Support and children who may require an EHC Plan (Education, Health and Care Plan). In addition, the school has a focus group of children who receive additional support to enable them to ‘catch up’.

Interventions A child may access Catch Up interventions if evidence collected by the class teacher suggests that the pupil is not making progress and additional provision is needed. Interventions are reviewed termly and progress measured. All classes have a Provision Map that is reviewed half termly. This will detail what provision is to be made, the time taken to carry it out and the person responsible for managing the programme.

SEN Support If the child is placed in SEN Support, following discussion with parents after Catch Up interventions have been accessed, and it is felt that further provision is needed (over and above that of the Quality First Teaching taking place in each class) this will often include the involvement of outside specialists e.g. Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist or Child Psychologist.

Education, Health and Care Plan  A Statutory Assessment can only be requested if the child demonstrates a significant cause for concern eg exceptionality or complex needs and if Quality First Teaching and SEN Support does not meet their needs. This would be in agreement between outside agencies involved as well as parents and School. If you would like any further information about Statutory Assessment, please do not hesitate to contact our SENCo, Miss Berry. At all stages, the SENCO will discuss the individual needs of the child with the parents.

What the school may do to support and help your child There are many Intervention Programmes that the school can put in place to help your child. The interventions fall into 3 Waves:

WAVE ONE – Quality First Teaching Pupils are offered an inclusive and differentiated experience in everyday lessons, with the majority of pupils making good progress without additional support.


WAVE TWO – ‘Catch up’ or Booster Programmes Pupils are offered additional help to accelerate learning. This may be a small group, targeted intervention, timetabled to ensure children benefit from the experience.


WAVE THREE - Intensive Targeted Support Individual support, linked to specific personal targets. Pupils receiving this level of support will often require additional input/advice from outside agencies. Care Plans can be implemented for intervention for specific/medical needs.



Files to Download