At St Mary's we teach mathematics following the Inspire Maths scheme of work in KS1 and KS2. Inspire Maths is a whole-school primary maths programme that provides everything to support a mastery approach to teaching and learning mathematics, and it meets the higher expectations of the National Curriculum. It follows world-leading teaching based on Singapore’s state primary schools.
- Inspire maths uses accessible pupil textbooks to introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, enabling all children to develop critical thinking skills, make mathematical connections and become confident mathematicians.
- Inspire Maths builds on a concrete - pictorial - abstract approach, ensuring secure foundations and deep understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Inspire Maths uses a spiral progression to develop fluency, reasoning, and problem solving and conceptual understanding for mastery.
Mathematics is a very important subject here at St Mary's. It is taught daily in specific lessons, but children practise and use their maths throughout the school day.
Nursery and Reception follow 'Development Matters' to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. In mathematics, your child is likely to cover the following things:
- To count to 10 using concrete resources and everyday objects
- use number names and reciting some in order.
- Sorting and matching objects.
- Using blocks to create simple building.
- Using containers to fill and empty liquids.
- Beginning to mark make to represent amounts.
- Complete simple jigsaws and puzzles.
- Learn simple shapes and recognise shapes in the environment.
- Notice simple patterns and begin to create their own simple patterns.
- Counting up to 20 everyday objects.
- Saying and using the number names in order.
- Finding one more or less than a number up to 20.
- Starting to use the language of addition and subtraction; counting on and back.
- Sorting and matching objects and shapes.
- Comparing quantities and shapes.
- Finding and recreating simple patterns.
- Beginning to do some simple measuring, comparing lengths and quantities.
- Talking about things like size, weight, distance, time and money to develop correct vocabulary.